Yahoo! Southeast Asia (where I work) is looking for an online reporter to gather, produce and present daily news stories for our Singapore Front Page. You must be a dynamic and independent “go-getter” with a passion for what makes news in Singapore. You must also have a wide network of contacts within the industry.
Traditional news reporting skills such as strong writing and the ability to deliver under tight deadlines are a must. But you must also be comfortable working in a multi-media newsroom, pulling together text, video and audio. Broadcast or newswire experience is a plus.
You’ll also need a broad knowledge of subjects as diverse as politics, business, entertainment and sports. If you have experience engaging and “shepherding” such communities online, that’s an even bigger plus.
Technical experience isn’t necessary, but you’ll need to be comfortable with a number of internet publishing tools. The position is based in Singapore and reports to the Singapore country editor.
Here’s what we’re looking for in a candidate:
– Fluent in English
– Mandarin language skills would be ideal
– Have broadcast or hosting experience in either TV or radio
– Able to write in a strong, unique and engaging conversational voice
– Outgoing with excellent inter-personal skills
– Must have at least 3 years of relevant or related experience in online and/or traditional media
– Excellent local knowledge and network of contacts
– A wide variety of subject interests, from local politics to health to local entertainment
– Prepared to work irregular hours, including weekends
– Able to work with diverse teams of people from different cultures
– Bachelor’s degree, preferably in journalism or communications
If you think you have the skills, we’d love to hear from you. Send your cover letters and CVs to our Singapore Country Editor Jeff Oon (firstname.lastname@example.org).